Oregon  |  Wills and Trusts

Legal Question

Asked on: 5/18/10, 1:47 pm

I live in Oregon and own a 1/4 share of some property with my three siblings. I'm getting married in September and one of my sisters is insistent that my fiancé sign a prenuptial agreement stating that if we divorce he won’t demand half of my share of the property or if I die my share of the property will be inherited by any remaining siblings rather than by my husband. Two of my siblings were married when we bought the property and their spouses’ names are not included on the title to the property but there isn’t any kind of legal document declaring that the property will be inherited by the remaining siblings (rather than the spouse) if one sibling dies. I feel it would be unfair to ask my fiancé to sign this kind of agreement unless the spouses of my siblings are held to the same type of agreement.

I would like to know what kind of document we need our spouses to sign to insure that the living siblings inherit the property rather than a spouse or children of the sibling who has died.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

115 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search