Pennsylvania  |  Disability Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 8/28/10, 9:13 am

i am a u.s. citizen and i want to marry an illegal immigrant from Guatemala who entered this country illegally. we live in Philadelphia, pa. and want to know what papers do we need in order to get marry? and then apply for his residence and so forth. thank you!

1 Answer

Answered on: 9/02/10, 12:27 pm by Bonnie Moses

Unfortunately, if your fiance entered illegally, there is nothing you can do to secure his permanent residency upon marriage. Only immigrnants who entered illegally can file for permanent residency upon marriage to a U.S. citizen. Even if they've overstayed their Visa they they're eligible, but those who immigrated illegally are never eligible.

The only possible path to permanent residency at this time is for your fiance to return to Guatamala. You will then have to follow to Guatamala, marry there, and file for permanent residency through the U.S. consulate in Guatamala.

For a free consult, please contact us at 215_242_3030, and ask to speak with our immigration attorney, Adam M. DeJohn, Esq.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Dessen, Moses & Rossitto 600 Easton Road Willow Grove, PA 19090

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

209 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search