Legal Question in Bankruptcy in Pennsylvania

I am from Phila. I have no choice but to declare bankruptcy. What do I need for attorney to do so? I don't have one yet...I want to be prepared. Also, how long does it take and is it expensive?

Asked on 5/22/13, 1:24 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Matthew Nahrgang Nahrgang & Associates, P.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

I offer a free initial consult which can be conducted by phone for convenience. An evaluation for bankruptcy involves income and assets. So, you should be familiar with your household income over the last 6 months and be able to generally describe your assets. Once it is determined that you qualify, it is simply a matter of retaining counsel and providing the required information.

A chapter 7 should be about $2,000 and a chapter 13 should be about 13. Those are the fees I charge. This is truly a case where you should be discriminating in your choice of counsel and not just bargain shop. The fees easily survive the cost benefit analysis and, in my case, are charged by an attorney whose main practice is bankruptcy. I have finished many cases for other counsel who have unfortunately left the client worse off and the client ended up having to pay twice.

Also, anyone who practices in the 6 county area can help you as cases are filed electronically and most work can be conducted by mail, e-mail and fax. Feel free to call or e-mail me on a free initial basis.

Read more
Answered on 5/22/13, 4:41 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in Pennsylvania

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

89033 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Bankruptcy Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now