Pennsylvania  |  Credit and Debt Law

What can a creditor do to me if I leave the country and not pay off my debt?

Answered on: 5/23/11, 11:22 am by Rachel Hunter

Get a judgment against you. If you own no property in the US, it is very unlikely that a creditor will have the judgment transferred to whatever country you are living in. The judgment will sit there. The judgment never goes away. It can remain in force against real property, if you have any, for 5 years and be renewed every 5 years. A judgment can remain in effect against personal property for 20 years.

I don't know if your US credit report is going to follow you to a foreign country. However, will you be needing any kind of credit? A lease, a car loan, a mortgage? How are you going to pay for things while abroad? Are you ever planning on coming back to the US and will you need credit at that time?

Ideally, you should make plans to resolve this debt, if only for your own piece of mind, but it wil depend on your circumstances which I don't know.

Attorney address not available