Pennsylvania  |  Landlord & Tenant Law

I have leased an apartment for 2 years currently. As of May 1, 2011, our 12 month lease came to an end. On the lease, there is a statment that the lease will not renew automatically after the end date. So, as of May 1, 2011, we have been living under no lease, aparently. Our Landlord has consistently cashed our rent checks of $650 on or around the first of the month even past May 1st and to this date. I never received a call or notification that our lease was expired. I called to let her know that we would like to renew the lease in June. She sent a lease but we never signed nor returned the lease. So technically (or I would imagine) we are still living under no lease. We now need to move out in the next two weeks because my girlfriend accepted a job in Virginia. She requires a 60 day notice on moving, a pentaly of the security deposit plus one month's rent ($1300), and to continue to pay rent until a new party has signed a new lease.

My question is can we leave whenever we need to without fear of this huge pentalty or credit risk since we have never signed or returned the new lease?

Thank you in advance

-Marc Fuller