Pennsylvania  |  Wills and Trusts

inheritance/deed transfer

my fatheer died and left a will but nothing legal my mother dies 13 years ago and i have lived with him since he never transferred the deed my mother is even still on it what do i do there is no other family except his brother and wife and they signed the will leaving me all

Answered on: 1/15/07, 3:58 pm by Solomon Weinstein

Re: inheritance/deed transfer

If the deed was a joint deed, tenants by the entireties as are most deeds between husband and wife, then upon your mother's death the entire property belonged to your father. Assuming he never added anyone else to the deed then if your facts are as indicated, upon his death he left everything to you. As long as the home was in his name alone upon his death then the home will be yours subject to any debt, taxes or other obligations owed by your father and to be paid from the estate. I suggest you have the deed and will reviewed with an attorney to make sure things are titled as above. I would be happy to speak with you if you wanted to consult with my office

Solomon Weinstein, Esquire 1032 Millcreek drive Feasterville, PA 19053