South Carolina  |  Criminal Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 7/26/13, 4:22 pm

Husband traded a car we had not yet transferred to our name. The girl who traded cars with us (signed title over) just pressed charges saying her car was "stolen ". They charged him with obtaining property under false pretense bc the title was not in our name when we did the trade. The girl knew his real name and that the title was not in our name. She ended up not liking the car we traded her and wanted to trade back. We told her no and apparently she got mad and pressed these charges. The investigator said that it was iilegal bc it wasn't in his name etc etc. Wouldn't that just be title jumping? Bottom line is she knew my husband was not who's name the title was in and test drove our car and still decided to make the trade. This is a felony charge and I need to know best way to fight it. This investigator is not a nice person and is even trying to intimidate me and say I could even be charged bc I was present during the trade. This is all bc a person regretted trading their car and didn't get their way. I know I need a lawyer but cannot afford it so we will have to utilize a public defender. I just need to know what we are looking at as far as what a lawyer can do for us, fines, possible jail tome, etc.

Thank you

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

70 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search