Legal Question in Criminal Law in South Carolina

Shoplifting Civil Demand/Must reply within XX days (2 related questions)

I was convicted of shoplifting last month and recieved a civil demand from the store earlier this month. I know they have the right to do so but the notice says I was in their store on a day that I wasn't and I believe I can prove it. Does this have any effect on their demand?

Also, I wrote them a response about this and sent it via Certified Mail... I noticed they can tell me that I only have a certain amount of time to respond to them but if I tell them they only have a certain amount of time to respond to me, does that mean anything in reality if they don't reply within that amount of time?

Robert Johnston Law Offices of Robert J. Johnston

Re: Shoplifting Civil Demand/Must reply within XX days (2 related questions)

I'm a little confused. Normally if you were found guilty of shoplifting, the court would have ordered you to pay restitution to the victim (store). I assume that did not happen. As far as them stating the wrong date, I'm not sure it makes any difference. First of all, you were found guilty of shoplifting, so what good would it do to now say the date is wrong. Secondly, its probably just a typographical error. As far as them not responding to you withing a certain amount of time, I don't see where that makes any difference. It is they who can bring legal action against you. The time frame they put on you is what is important.

More Criminal Law questions and answers in South Carolina