Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in South Carolina

We signed a one year lease on a home. The lease was supposed to start on October 1st. I picked up the keys from the property manager and went directly to the house. The house was filthy dirty, so I called the property manager. She came over and took several pictures, as did I, and said she would not move in it either in these conditions. She contacted the owner and told him the entire house needed cleaned, including shampooing the carpets. He said it would be done on October 2nd. The property manager said she would call me after inspecting the home. It is now Monday, so I called her and she said it had already been cleaned and that we could have started moving in yesterday. Well, she never called me. We are now going to be out of town for the next two weekends, so I asked her to change the lease to November 1st or to void the lease and give us our money back since the house was not ready on October 1st...as this was the lease agreement. Do I have the right to get my money back since they broke the lease on their part by not having the home ready for us to move in on October 1st?

John Jackson Law Office of John A. Jackson, P.C.

No. You are being unreasonable. You would have no chance of success in court.

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in South Carolina

Landlord & Tenants Legal Forms