Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Tennessee

Living Wills

Where can I get forms for living wills and how much will it cost? Is this something I can do without the services of an attorney? Thank you.

Sean Scally Sean Scally, Attorney-at-Law

Re: Living Wills

Generally, you don't need an attorney for ALOT of things, but I wouldn't recommend it going it alone if it is avoidable. I suppose you could also perform an amputation on a body part without a doctor, but it is probably not a great idea. If you can't find an attorney to do a living will as well as basic estate planning for $200 or less, then you are not looking in the right place. MANY attorneys use basic estate planning as a "loss leader" to get to know new people so that they will think of "their attorney" in the event of some further need. The attorney is important to make sure a "form" living will complies with state law which, by definition, varies depending upon jurisdiction.

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Tennessee