Texas  |  Credit and Debt Law

Am I responsible for my ex-husband's debts? I sold the car my husband and I bought together to him. We were divorced in December 2005. He allowed the car to be repossessed in 2006. Now that repossession by Ford credit is showing on my credit report. I can't get credit to finance a new car. How can I get this off my credit report.

Answered on: 10/05/13, 3:40 pm by Sharon Campbell

No, you are not responsible for your husband's debts. But the facts you set forth don't seem to make it an question of your husband's debts. If you and your husband both signed for the original auto loan, a divorce decree does not change your liability. The car finance company or bank was not a party to your divorce. A divorce decree cannot cancel your debt. However, the statute of limitations for suit on a debt in Texas is 4 years so it does appear that you cannot be held legally responsible for the auto loan deficiency. Debts may be reported on your credit report for 7 years from the last reported activity. So it appears that this debt should come off your credit report after this year.

Sharon Campbell

Sharon K. Campbell 3500 Oak Lawn Ave, Suite 500 Dallas, TX 75219