Legal Question in Criminal Law in Texas

My girlfriend was convicted of a felony for writing bad checks. She was in an abusive relationship at the time, and her partner coerced her to open a checking account and then proceeded to write checks in her name until my girlfriend was arrested and charged. Jail time was suspended as long as she paid her restitution and obeyed her probation stipulations. At a couple of points she ended up breaking her probation, ended up serving state prison time and still had to pay off the remaining restitution after her time was up.

My question is this. This all took place between 1999-2004, in Texas. This felony charge follows her around and it's incredibly difficult for her to find a good job. Is there anyway to go back and reinvestigate the original crime and have it overturned? If not, how can we proceed to get this off her record? Is there anything we can do?

Asked on 7/27/13, 2:44 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Cynthia Henley Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

She can consult with a lawyer about doing a post conviction application for writ of habeas corpus but it does not sound like there is a basis for it. There is no other way to get it off her record or sealed.

Read more
Answered on 7/31/13, 1:59 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Texas

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

89033 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now