Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

Right Form?

I need to know if I am filing the correct form. I need to file for a court date for contempt. The form I believe is called Notice of Hearing. Is this the correct form? If this is the correct form is there anything else I need to file for the court date? I have the paperwork I need to file for contempt, so all I need is to make sure this is the form I need to get a court date. The last thing I need to know is how long will it take to get a court date once the form is received.

Fran Brochstein Attorney, Arbitrator & Mediator

Re: Right Form?

If you live in Harris County, feel free to give our office a telephone call.

You can also go the Harris County Law Library downtown for forms. They are in the Jury Assembly Bldlg. located at Congress and Fannin. Take money to make copies on their copiers.

They have all the books that the other attorney mentioned in their response to you.

Good luck!

Fran Brochstein

www.familylaw4u.com

713-847-6000

Adrian Jonrowe Law Offices of Adrian Jonrowe

Re: Right Form?

You really are doing things incomplete. I suggest you read the Texas Rules of Civil Procedure or get an atty to help you. Contempt motions must be served in person if they involve jail time. Court date setting (amount of notice) is dependent on what you are motioning for and if it is for temporary or final orders. If you are just beginning you have to start an action either new or within old family law case cause number get the party served or accept service with a proper waiver, etc. In Travis county I just call the court administrator and set up a hearing date and then notice the other party in writing. As for hearing dates - each county has its own way of docketing hearings depending on subject matter and length of time for the hearing. If the other party is represented by counsel it is common courtesy and usually keeps you from a hearing on a Motion for Continuance to contact that atty and arrange a mutually agreeable date for the hearing.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas