Texas  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 7/08/13, 1:48 pm


My child's father and I split some time ago and after our initial split he would send anywhere from $100-150 a month. We came to our own agreement as far as visitation was concerned and he never even followed our agreed upon schedule and he always stiffed me when it came to paying what we both agreed was a decent amount monthly until the actual child support kicked. Now that I have moved on and am currently in a relationship, my child's father has completely flipped and now wants to sign away his rights to the child in an attempt to get out of paying an child support. He has completely cut ties with his child and has even gone as far as to say "Have your new man take care of it." (I initially filed for child support while we were still in a relationship because he's the type of person who 9 times out 10 has to be forced to do what he needs to do). I have rescheduled the negotiation meeting because he asked me to do so because he couldn't attend or so he says. I have received a new date and will not reschedule no matter what his excuse is. I simply want to know, in the state of Texas, will voluntarily terminating your parental rights end someone's obligation to pay child support? If so, what can I do to fight this injustice?

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

70 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search