Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

Open Records & Final Paperwork

I went to court in July to get divorced from my husband. He brought a lawyer and I did not have one. I agreed to no child support because my ex-husband agreed to help where he could, when he could. This was made open record. I have not signed the paperwork because he hasn't done anything to help my kids-not even a package of diapers. Now his lawyer has a court date set for Monday to force me to sign, and the copy of the divorce papers she has filed in court are different than the ones she sent me over the summer. The papers she has filed don't even mention him agreeing to help when he can. I am the primary custodian, but he pays nothing to help; I have to take the kids to him and pick them up from him at his house. Is there anything I can do to change any of this? I couldn't afford a lawyer when all this started, and since I am now a single mother with no help from their father, I can't afford one now.

Theresa Langford Langford Law Firm

Re: Open Records & Final Paperwork

Are you sure you can't afford a lawyer? Because it sounds like you can't afford NOT to hire a lawyer. You are being railroaded. He is obligated to support his children. The responsibilities of visitation are a two-way street. Many lawyers will work on a payment plan -- or maybe you should have a yard sale or ask for help from family/friends -- in any event, you need to get a lawyer.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas