Texas  |  Family Law

My question is kind of long so please bare with me. My husband wants to adopt my daughter who is now 7. He has been her dad since she was 3 and is the only dad she has ever known. There is no father on her birth certificate and honestly I dont know who it is and no way of finding out. Would this be a complicated and costly adoption? We are considered to be a low income family and don't have a lot of money to spare but we want my husband to adopt her so badly. Ive heard of people going and signing a b paper stateing they are the bio dad and getting on the birth certificate that way but we dont know if that is legal or not. Plus im 29 and he is 23 so I don't think that would go over to well. Thanks for any help!

Answered on: 5/31/13, 6:43 am by Mark Dunn

If a person lies on a form and says he's the biological father when he knows he's not, he could get in trouble.

Adoption is a somewhat long and costly process. Plan to spend around $3500.

Mark D. Dunn 101 E. Park Blvd., Suite 600 Plano, TX 75074