Texas  |  Landlord & Tenant Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 9/24/13, 5:53 pm

I just need some advice.

I am renting my home from my parents (their name is on the lease). They've given me the rights to rent out rooms in the home in order to save up money for the down payment to buy the house from them.

I made the mistake of renting out a room to a friend of mine without drawing up a lease. She moved in, in February and has now been requested to move out. Needless to say our friendship is no longer existent. Over the last 4 months she has had her boyfriend stay at the house 4-6 days out of the week and given him a key to the house without discussing the matter with me. He has not contributed to the payment of rent and/or utilities since "living" there. I have asked her and/him to pay me an additional $75 total for the used utilities/rent for the 4 months he's been in my home. She has refused to pay me anything and has become to attempt to take my personally purchased items from my home. I am under the impression that because we don't have a lease I can have her and her boyfriend escorted out of the home for trespassing if I choose to change the locks. Is my impression correct? I so, what is to happen to anything of hers left in the house?

I just want my home back and the additional $75. Any help will be highly appreciated :)

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

125 Answers given in the last few hours.

8663 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search