Legal Question in Personal Injury in Texas

A car t-boned my car while I was driving. In my car were two other passengers. Both of the passengers settled claims against the other driver who was proven to be at fault in a court of law. Unfortunately, I was unable to afford an attorney at the time. Can I use their verdicts as my own since we were all in the car together? What is the statue of limitation if this is possible?

Robert C. Slim Attorney at Law - (214) 321-8225

The statute of limitations is two years from the date of the accident. (There may be some tolling issues that might extend this time period, but don't necessarily count on this). Were you injured? If so, pretty much all personal injury attorneys take these cases on a "contingency fee" basis, which means that their fees are collected upon settlement of your case. Likewise, you would not have to pay attorneys fees up-front.

As for the previous verdicts, they might help you in your case, but more facts would have to be developed. You mentioned that the passengers "settled," but yet you say the other driver was "proven to be at fault in a court of law." How was there a verdict if the passengers settled??? Did they settle after the verdict? On appeal? You should call and get a free consultation with an attorney.

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Texas