Legal Question in Traffic Law in Texas

No Insurance paper in car and 1 broken tail light

My brother is not a permint resident of Houston,Texas. Presently taking classes and has been living in tx for 3 months. He was stopped and recieved a ticket for No insurance and 1 tail light out.

INFO: Car is a 69 Ponitac, 30 years old and he fixed it(loose wires). The car has insurace but it wasn't in the car during the time of the ticket.

He does not know Texas Traffic tickets laws. He was put on a waiting list to talk to the DA. To see if he has to go to court for his ticket.

OPTIONS: he was given was if he pleds gulity to the ticket, pays the fine,& court cost($300 Total). On top of that he has 6 months Probation.

Question: is it cheaper to pay for a lawyer to deal with this because he's losing class time to deal with this? How do you prove that the tail light is fixed? (He's planning to take pictures and get it checked by a shop and get a statement that states that it's fixed and due to loose wires) Insurance on the car but FROM New Mexico? Do you know of any webs to get information about texas traffic tickets?

Robert Turner Turner Law Office

Re: No Insurance paper in car and 1 broken tail light

You should fight the ticket. My experience in Texas (Austin that is) is that the cop will probably not show up, and if he does you present a picture of the tail light working and proof of insurance at the time of the ticket. I would not hire an attorney for this small matter. You should be able to handle it yourself. If you would like some more advise you can call me at 505-544-4306.

Gerald R. Yoakum The Practice of Gerald R. Yoakum, P.C. A Full Service Law Firm

e-mail me because you can fight this cheaper than

paying.

More Traffic Law questions and answers in Texas