Virginia  |  Family Law

Divorce

If your husband is employed by the Federal Governement and you have been married 25 years, and you end up getting a divorce is the spouse entitled to part of his pension?

Answered on: 2/15/09, 3:22 pm by Ruth Emily Kochard

Re: Divorce

Yes, a pension may be considered as marital property and subject to equitable distribution, but it is critical that the amount you claim be adequately valued and presented to the court. If it is not clear what amount you are claiming is marital you will not be entitled to recover a portion of the pension. I suggest that you speak with an attorney concerning how you can best proceed in this matter.

Ruth Emily Kochard, Counselor at Law 2034 Airy Circle Richmond, VA 23238

Answered on: 2/15/09, 3:23 pm by Ruth Emily Kochard

Re: Divorce