Virginia  |  Criminal Law

Court Testimony

I am being asked by my ex husband to testify for him. He was recently arrested for trespassing and he is a non violent felon. The police found 3 guns at his home and ammo, he used them for hunting. Two of the guns are mine and one is deceased grandfathers. He told the police that the guns were kept at my father's house while we were married and that he would accompany me to go hunting, but that he didn't use the guns himself, only bow hunting. He told police and his lawyer that a frined of his wanted to buy the guns and we were going to split the money. He stated that I thought his friend was with him this particular night and so I bought the guns to his home, and left them with his son for him to sell. But before he could sell them, he was arrested and caught with the guns. If I testify to this, can I get in trouble myself? This is also not the truth, he has had the guns, but he has people testifying for him about this. Please answer as soon as you can. Thank you.

Answered on: 5/13/08, 10:41 pm by Michael E. Hendrickson

Re: Court Testimony

Why would you agree to lie under oath in testifying in court for an ex felon husband, and expose yourself to possible criminal prosecution for perjury, obstruction of justice, and who knows what else?

Better forget all about that idea.

Attorney & Counsellor at Law 211 North Union Street Suite 100 Alexandria, 22314