Virginia  |  Criminal Law

I wanted to know if the following information could possibly constitute as a case of fraud. I live in a community building where a fire recently broke out in a friends apartment. Another resident then got online and asked for donations of food and other items for the fire victim. Several people did come forward and donate items, however, these items were delivered to the person who asked for the donations. She never gave the donations to the person she was getting the donations for. Instead she kept all donated items for herself, and the fire victim received nothing.

Answered on: 5/18/13, 6:43 am by Michael E. Hendrickson

Yes, it could (in my opinion) at least the civil version of fraud if not the criminal and each person who was allegedly defrauded could sue this alleged fraudster

for the value of what they donated and which allegedly was never

delivered to the fire victim but rather allegedly kept by the fraudster for her own personal use and/or disposition.

Attorney & Counsellor at Law 211 North Union Street Suite 100 Alexandria, 22314