Virginia  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 4/23/13, 11:32 am

My ex-husband has sole physical custody of my children, but we have joint legal custody. He is trying to tell me that I can't give permission for my children to go somewhere with a third party. Is this true or is he just trying to bully?? Everytime my children want to go somewhere with my fiance or a member of his family (during the time that they are with me) he starts his threats. Any input or advice is appreciated.

1 Answer

Answered on: 5/19/13, 7:35 am by Michael E. Hendrickson

If you share in joint legal custody of these children with your former

husband, then when they're in your custody you should have the right

to decide who may accompany the children to some event in which you

do not go along.

I therefore disagree with your husband's position and suspect that

any judge hearing the matter as contested would also disagree (unless

it could be reliably demonstrated that the best interests of these

children were somehow jeopardized by these arrangements with

non-involved third parties).

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Attorney & Counsellor at Law 211 North Union Street Suite 100 Alexandria, 22314

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

133 Answers given in the last few hours.

8661 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search