Virginia  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 1/27/12, 1:31 pm

can we move my brothers belongings out of my deceased fathers home since he has been staying with a friend but didn't take his belongings. No will was left so we all have shares in it. He was supposed to pay taxes to stay there and hasn't which put a tax lien on the house. The 3 of us want to change the locks and put his things out so we can clean it but want to do it the legal way.

1 Answer

Answered on: 1/30/12, 9:17 am by Paul B. Ward

He is a co-owner of the house, with equal right of access. It would be OK to remove his stuff so long as it remains available to him, if that is necessary to clean up the place for sale. But you cannot sell the house without his consent.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Law Offices of Paul B. Ward 8304 Old Courthouse Road, Suite B Vienna,, VA 22182

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

81 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search