Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Virginia

This past April I moved into an apartment with two roommates (they are a couple). On July 5th I told them I would have to move out. I agreed to pay July's bills, seeing as that would cover my 30 days. However, our leasing office required that all three of us, sign to release me from the year long lease. My roommates refused to sign unless I signed a paper agreeing to what THEY wanted. They made me sign agreeing to pay two additional months rent as well as utilities for August. I signed, because they refused to release me unless I did so. The conditions were unlivable for me. They were constantly smoking pot and they left the apartment a complete mess on a regular basis. Is there any way to disregard the personal contract signed between myself and the roommates, or is it binding regarldess of circumstances or duress?

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law

You could ignore it and then see what happen and if you're sued, then

raise whatever defenses that may be applicable, including that of unconscionable duress.

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Virginia

Landlord & Tenants Legal Forms