Legal Question in Medical Malpractice in Virginia

Hello, I just recieved a paper in the mail from Omnicell(an automated medication dispencsing services on behalf of various healthcare providers, including Sentara Healthcare ("Sentara"). Omnicell is intrusted with patient information. This paper states "on the night of November 14th, 2012 an omnicell electronic device was stolen from an employees locked car. It was reported the following day. The information that was available for the theif was: My Name, Birthdate, Patient Number, Medical Record, Gender, Allergies?, Admission Date, Discharge date, Patient type, Rm #, Medication name, medication dose amount and rate, administration instructions, and start and stop time. This is scarey. Im worried sick for my safety and my identity. I would like to sue Sentara and/or Omnicell for their careless mistake that cost all of us patients our privacy and wellbeing. Please, do I have a case?

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law

Aside from your privacy and well-being, what are your provable damages arising out of this unfortunate incident?

More Medical Malpractice Law questions and answers in Virginia