Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Virginia

I recently moved from a rental after we closed on a property. It was 1 1/2 months before the lease was up. We paid rent through the 1 1/2 months. We had it professionally cleaned through out with in the first week we vacated. The landlord used our paid rent time to make repairs...painting, landscaping, and carpet replacing...without our permission. It was empty but we wanted that time to clean. We did a professional carpet and maid clean before all the workers were in the property. There is no walk out list and the landlord lost the walk in check list...we have it. The landlord is suing us for 60%of carpet replacement. We only rented for 1 year of a 4 year old rental home. The landlord came in and out without any permission of a vacant but still paid rent from me. He is suing us for carpet, maid service, and a list of other things totaling $7300. What can I do?

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law

At your first court hearing, request a Bill of Particulars and then once you have received your copy of this BOP, prepare a credible Answer & Grounds of Defense by the deadline given to you by the judge as to why you should not owe nor have to pay these damages enumerated by your former landlord. (And, yes, if you can't do this for whatever reason, then hire an attorney for a few hours of his or her professional time for advice as to how you should best go about it.)

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Virginia