Washington  |  Landlord & Tenant Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 8/10/09, 10:13 pm

When I moved in to my Townhouse I paid first and last months rent, when my lease was up at 1 year, I chose to not sign another lease and have been renting month to month, was rent was raised $50.00 a month and now that I am going to move out the property management company is telling my I have to pay the $50.00 difference. I can not find anywhere on my lease that it states I would have to pay the difference if rent is raised. Am I legally obligated to pay the difference?

Thank you,

Sherry Duncan

1 Answer

Answered on: 8/19/09, 12:32 pm by P. Jayson Thibodaux

Generally, you must be provided at least 30 days written notice of a rent increase and a landlord may not raise rent during a lease.

I have seen many leases that are for a specific term and provide that if continued month to month, rent is raised $50 a month from the original lease amount. If you signed a one year lease and there is no provision for additional rent if the agreement continues month to month, you should have been provided written notice. A landlord cannot request the monthly $50 difference for rents paid during your one year lease.

Keep in mind that if you continue month to month, each month is a new agreement and the rent may be raised if the required notice is provided.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Law Office of P. Jayson Thibodaux 116 Avenue A, Ste. B Snohomish, WA 98290

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

81 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search