Washington  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 5/27/03, 4:29 pm

Can I garnish wages from a husband who has defaulted on a Divorce agreement?

My divorce agreement as of 11/2001 states that my ex-husband has to pay me $1000 per month until 80% of our debt (his portion) is paid off. He has barely made payments of $400 per month since then and has not paid me anything for the past 4 months consecutively and 9 months total since our divorce was granted. He says he got a new job about 2 months ago. Can I get his wages garnished? All of the debt is in my name and I can't afford to make payments on everything without his help. What is my legal recourse? If I get his wages garnished, can he just quit his job and not have to pay or will the judgement go on record so that anytime he gets a job he will have wages garnished until I'm paid off?

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

70 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search