Legal Question in Family Law in Washington

If I was married overseas and had a church ceremony in the US, am I legally married? We have lived in the US for 6 years and have filed taxes as married filing jointly. I am asking because we are seeking a divorce (no property or children, and both of us are cooperating).

Asked on 7/24/13, 2:22 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Amir John Showrai The Pacific Law Firm, PLLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

When you were married overseas assuming a marriage license was issued to you at that time, that would be the controlling event to determine whether you are legally married. It should also be mentioned that the ceremony has to be performed by somebody legally qualified to do so in the jurisdiction overseas where you're married. A church ceremony anywhere in the United States that is unaccompanied by a marriage license is not a legal marriage, at least not in Washington. The marriage license is the key.

Having written the above, if the two of you are cooperating in seeking a dissolution of your marriage, I doubt the court will want proof that you were legally married in the first place so long as you both claim to have been married.

Read more
Answered on 7/25/13, 10:31 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Washington

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now