Legal Question in Family Law in Washington

If my wife and I are separated, she marries someone else in another state, then divorces him, do I still have to complete the paperwork to divorce her myself, or is our marriage void since she married someone else?

Asked on 7/03/13, 1:24 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Amir John Showrai The Pacific Law Firm, PLLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

At least as far as Washington law is concerned, her second marriage was never valid since her first marriage to you was never legally dissolved. Actually, she committed a crime in every state that I know of, when she entered a bigamous (second) marriage. As to your marriage, it isóbelieve it or notóstill legally valid and undissolved. Thus, you still do have to complete the paperwork to get it finalized.

If you are having trouble, get local counsel to help you complete the process and get it done right, so that you and she no longer have legal ties.

Read more
Answered on 7/03/13, 1:42 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Washington

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88693 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Craig EpifanioCraig Epifanio, P.A.St Petersburg, FL
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now