Legal Question in Family Law in Wisconsin

I live in the state of Wisconsin and pay spousal maintenance to my ex-wife who also resides in Wisconsin. She has a upcoming court hearing for a 5th or 6th OWI offense. If found guilty and sentenced to serve jail/prison time, by law, am I still obligated to continue to make payments to her during any time that she may be incarcerated?

Thank You.

Asked on 9/30/13, 9:14 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

David Kowalski Kowalski Family Law, LLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Until a new order takes the place of your current support order, your support obligation will not change. A motion must be filed with the court to decrease or terminate support payments. Even in the event of significant life and financial changes like you indicate, support does not automatically change. There are several factors that a judge will review to determinate if support should be changed, one of them being your ex-wife's need for support. I highly recommend working with an experienced family lawyer to ensure you make the proper legal and factual arguments.

Read more
Answered on 9/30/13, 9:32 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Wisconsin

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now