Legal Question in Family Law in India

My cousin had got married to her boyfriend without informing anyone but as they stay in village it was refused by family the girl attempted suicide n was safe...but now she doesn't want to go with her boyfriend she got to know he is not a right person for her when she really needed her he was not beside her so wants to get divorced what can be done in such situation?

the guy is already filed a case against the girl but every date the guy doesn't turn up for the case and now he has told the girl that i will not set u free i will make sure that you dont move forward in your life...When consulted Lawyer in Haryana he said the Girl canít file a case on a guy till she completes a year for marriage and if she does that the then this will be called as rape case ...Kindly help

Asked on 7/08/13, 5:08 am

4 Answers from Attorneys

Sudershan Goel Sudershan Goel - Advocate, International Visiting Scholar, USA [2008-10]

You have been rightly advised. A divorce petition cannot be filed prior to expiry of one year of separation. An appropriate opinion is possible in such cases only after perusing all necessary documents. The local lawyer is better placed to guide you.

Read more
Answered on 7/08/13, 5:23 am

Lovkesh Gupta Advocate And Lawyer In Jalandhar.

file case for maintenance

Read more
Answered on 7/08/13, 9:01 am

dear client........

its not as such..... girls have more right then guys.. for details mail me at [email protected] ur lawyer dint said ur right things even now she can file a complain for dv and file divorce....

Read more
Answered on 7/08/13, 10:55 am

About filing of case after one year is true. but i may guide you properly after meeting with the girl and after seeing your friends snaps and documents of marriage. but i can assure you she will get divorce withing one or two years.

good luck.

[email protected]


Punjab and Haryana High Court, Chandigarh.


Read more
Answered on 7/09/13, 8:40 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in India