Legal Question in Business Law in California

Can I seek payment of a legal judgement from the managing/majority partner of an LLC, since the LLC has stopped opperating a business, and i am uncertain as to the status of their assets? The managing/majority partner is responsible for avoiding or ignoring all notifications of hearings regarding this case, and judgement has already been filed in California Superior Court.

Asked on 9/28/12, 3:25 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Patricia Meyer Patricia Meyer & Associates

The judgement can only be enforced against the defendant. There are certain circumstances were you can go back into court to obtain o co-debtor status but with an LLC that is not likely unless you can "pierce the corporate veil" with evidence that corporate formalities were ignored, including in how finances were handled.

One of the reasons he formed the LLC was probably to protect his personal assets from exposure.

Read more
Answered on 9/28/12, 5:19 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in California