Legal Question in Social Security Law in California

I have been fighting with Social Security Disability for the last 15 years. They say there is an over payment issue which I have provided them with the correct information and they are incorrect yet, the left and doesn't know what the right hand is doing and I am paying for their lack of doing the right thing. I lost my job in June of this year and my only income has been social security disability. They said they were not going to pay me for the month of Dec. Went to the Social Security Office and asked to speak with a Supervisor because they are the only ones that can help me with this issue. After waiting two hours and everyone out of the office at 4:30 my name was called to window one. The supervisor basically told me if I don't sign the Fee Waiver agreement that I was a fault for the over payment and that I would pay them back I was not going to get Dec. check. I need the money to pay my rent on my mobile home space that all the income I have. There is nothing i can do. You have to sign the agreement. Can I asked for a reconsideration. No this is finally. I did not want to sign anything that made me guilt of some thing that was not clear to me. She left me without any out. She won't listen to what I had to say. Trying to tell her it was taken care of with another case worker. So I signed against my will. Is there any thing I can do?

Asked on 12/09/12, 1:04 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Daphne Macklin Law Office of Daphne L. Macklin

Please feel free to contact me by telephone. There are some details to your problem that I would need to have explained before I am able to advise you fully about this matter. If you are no longer working you may ask that the overpayment recovery be limited to something that you are able to afford, as in $25.00 per month or so.

Without more complete information no one can advise you as to whether SSA can compel you to sign the waiver as opposed to allowing you to further appeal the overpayment matter. One more thing,in the area of overpayments, the District Office staff can often have more control than a hearing officer (Administrative Law Judge). Your question is one of those that may be resolved with some clearer explanations of what happened to cause the alleged overpayments.

Read more
Answered on 12/09/12, 4:18 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Social Security Law questions and answers in California