Legal Question in Traffic Law in California

Old warrents

About 5 years or so ago, I recieved 3 speeding tickets. At the time I had just left my husband had no money to pay the tickets. It was a choice to feed the kids or pay the tickets. Of course the kids won out. I had asked to x- to help me pay them. He said no. Since I had left him. I do not work. I need to pay these off. Where do I start? Two tickets were from city of Whittier. One from L.A. County Sheriffs. All within 3 weeks of each other.

I cannot spend anytime in jail I have 3 children that I stay home and care for. Please help me start to clear this up....

Asked on 1/08/01, 5:18 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Norman Gregory Fernandez, Esq. The Law Offices of Norman Gregory Fernandez & Associates

Re: Old warrents

I would go to the DMV and get a copy of your driving record. The warrants should appear on your DMV record. I would then call each of the Courts and ask them what the fine is for each citation. You probably will have to pay much more than the original ticket but most likely all you will have to do is go to the Court Clerk and pay the fines. It is very rare that you would have to see a judge in these types of matters unless you are arrested on the warrant!! You will also want to obtain from each Court a DMV release and then physically walk the release's into the DMV to clear up your record. Most likely your license has been suspended because of these warrants. If you do not take care of this immediatly, you could face jail for driving on a suspended license and for the warrants!!

Read more
Answered on 1/12/01, 10:38 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Traffic Law questions and answers in California