Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Colorado

My brother is married, he still had my name on his cking acct as beneficiary and did not have his wife's name on acct. My brother died and his wife could not get the money from this cking acct. The bank will close the acct and send me a certified ck after I send them forms to prove who I am.

Will this $25,000 be added to my income for taxes, even if I give the money to my brothers wife or keep it?



Asked on 10/06/11, 4:58 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Gary C. Johnson Attorney Gary C. Johnson

You can waive the amount, resulting in the amount going to the surviving spouse, and would probably not have any tax consequences. If you keep it then again you will probably not have any tax consequences. Careful review of your brother's estate documents will clarify the issue.

DISCLAIMER This answer is for informational purposes only and discusses general legal principles, trends, and considerations and is not intended as specific legal advice regarding your question. This answer does not establish an attorney client relationship. 720-323-3776

Read more
Answered on 10/06/11, 5:49 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Colorado