Legal Question in Family Law in Colorado

My friend left her two kids 13 and 17 with their grandmother and has not made contact with her mom or kids for about a year. She did not leave any way to be contacted. Biological father's are not involved and grandmother does not have a way to get a hold of them either. The children need medical care and possibly one may need surgery. Who can consent consent to medical care and treatment and surgery under sedation?

Asked on 8/31/16, 2:22 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Dave Rich Flatiron Legal Advisors, LLC

Grandma needs to file for a guardianship in the district court in the county she lives in. There is an emergency guardianship you can apply for as well if it is urgent.

Read more
Answered on 8/31/16, 2:33 pm
Stephen Harkess Colorado Legal Solutions

Grandma needs to seek either custody or guardianship. She has standing to seek these orders, but until she does she won't have the power to do what needs to be done.

Read more
Answered on 8/31/16, 3:15 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Colorado