Legal Question in Medical Malpractice in Colorado

So to start out I had a colonoscopy done and was told everything was fine. Two days later I end up in the ER to find out they had caused a tear and I had to have emergency surgery for a bowel resection. A couple of days after the surgery I had to have a drain inserted. Over the next year I had been into the ER several time with a lot of pain, and even when the ER Doctor wanted to do surgery again they kept calling the original surgeon who said everything was fine and had them release me. Finally I had had enough of all the pain so I went to a different hospital with a different surgeon who ended up doing a corrective surgery. The removed all the scar tissue, my appendix and corrected the stomach muscles that had been overlapped in the first surgery. I am told that because of all the scar tissue I will always have pain in that section and at some point I will probably have to have another surgery. Between all the medical bills and the constant pain, I was wondering if I have a case against the Dr. that made the mistake or the surgeon that refused to treat me and made some errors with his surgery.

Asked on 4/15/13, 4:11 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

James Chalat Chalat Hatten Koupal & Banker PC

Yes. You may have a case. I have experience with these cases and have had successful result on behalf of several clients with this type of injury. In order to evaluate the case further, a competent lawyer would need to review the medical records, and potentially have the records reviewed by consulting medical doctors. The claim may be against the original doctor who did the colonoscopy, and/or the post surgical treaters who failed to respond promptly. The case will also depend on where the medical treatment was rendered, and when.

You can reach me at [email protected]

Read more
Answered on 4/15/13, 5:03 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Medical Malpractice Law questions and answers in Colorado