Legal Question in Criminal Law in Connecticut

Someone (my neighbor) lied and wrote a statement saying i pulled a gun out on her 9yr old daughter 0_o i need a lawyer

Asked on 5/24/12, 7:45 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Emile Barton Law Offices of Emile J. Barton

Yes. You should speak with an experienced criminal attorney. Most criminal proceedings begin when one person gives a sworn statement against another alleging that some crime has been committed. This sworn statement is enough to establish that probable cause exist to effect the arrest of an individual. Probable cause can be established by showing there is a reasonable belief that a crime has been committed. The burden of proof is very low at this stage in the criminal process. While a sworn statement might be enough to initiate legal proceedings against an individual, it falls short of the evidence needed in order to convict the individual. In any event, you should seek counsel with an experienced criminal attorney.

Read more
Answered on 5/24/12, 8:58 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Connecticut