Legal Question in Civil Litigation in District of Columbia

The other day a friend and I were banned from a bar due to the fact that the manager said that we were a part of an altercation a few days prior. It was a total embarrassing and humiliating experience to be approached by 4 officers in a crowded bar and to be falsely accused of something that we had nothing to do with. The manager implied that he had us on video tape and a bar tab to prove it, but when I prompted him to show us he declined and couldn�t find the bar tab. I even went as far to help prove our case by providing my ID and credit cards to help verify that we weren�t there on the day in question. Is there any legal recourse that we can take to hold them responsible? Your advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Asked on 11/04/10, 7:48 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Phillip M. Cook Cook Legal Services, LLC

Hold them responsible for what? What were your damages? A privately owned bar has the right to refuse service to any patron. Whether the bar was right or wrong about your past conduct. Whether the bar handled it "fairly" or not, it's still a private business. If you don't like the way you were treated, there's an easy solution -- stop spending your money there.

Best of luck.******The above is for informational purposes only and does not create an attorney-client privilege.********

Read more
Answered on 11/09/10, 12:50 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in District of Columbia