Legal Question in Personal Injury in Florida

I was in a car accident in August. The personae car insurance I was in was Progressive. I had to go to the ER, get X-rays, and am still in Physical Therapy. When the accident happened Progressive told me that my insurance which is Geico needed to cover my bills. Geico denied the claim so in turn Progressive has now been paying the bills. 3 weeks ago Geico called me to let me know they are no longer going to deny the claim and they will pay up to $5,000 of medical bills. I told Progressive and they have yet to hear from Geico. Is there a way I can get Geico to just send me the $5,000 check for pain and suffering and time out of work?

Asked on 12/14/12, 8:33 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

David Slater David P. Slater, Esq.

No fault insurance benefit does not pay pain and suffering, they pay for medical and 80% lost wages.

Read more
Answered on 12/14/12, 8:38 am
Steven Meyer CPLS, P.A.

The insurance policy on your own car should pay a portion of your medical bills. You may be able to receive some additional money for your own injuries, including pain and suffering. However, it's not clear from your description of the accident what happened, who is responsible and whether there is insurance coverage that would pay you for your injuries. I suggest that you consult with a lawyer who is skilled in handling this type of case. We offer a free initial consultation and would be happy to speak with you about it. 561-864-0007

Read more
Answered on 12/14/12, 9:47 am
Barry Stein De Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & Zachary

Your insurance is for medical expenses and lost wages only. You can make the lost wage claim against both PIP carriers. Pain and suffering has to come from the at fault party.

Read more
Answered on 12/14/12, 10:23 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Florida