Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Florida

doctors bill

I asked this question before and got no answer...I will try again. I wrote a check to pay a doctor's bill. The amount was given to me over the phone and no bill was sent. On the face of the check I wrote ''paid in full for office visit 6/15/07'' I also included the diagnostic code and procedure code that were that were given to me. Now 3 months later I received a bill for for another $66. Does the ''paid in full'' have any meaning at this point?

Asked on 9/19/07, 9:00 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Philip Friedman Bonifield, Friedman & Leifer, P.A.

Re: doctors bill

It would depend on a lot of factors, including any prior agreements you had with the Doctor, if an agreement to charge a contracted insurance rate was given, if the bill was accident related, and so on. Generally, simply writing "paid in full" or words to the like is not dispositive, but more factors are needed.

Read more
Answered on 9/19/07, 9:23 am
Scott R. Jay Law Offices of Scott R. Jay

Re: doctors bill

NOTE: This communication is not intended as and should not be interpreted as legal advice. Rather, it is intended solely as a general discussion of legal principles. You should not rely on or take action based on this communication without first presenting ALL relevant details to a competent attorney in your jurisdiction and then receiving the attorney's individualized advice for you. By reading the "Response" to your question or comment, you agree that the opinion expressed is not intended to, nor does it, create any attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. If you do not agree, then stop right here, and do not read any further.

Marking paid in full does not determine whether or not payment in full has been received. If there is an outstanding balance, you are responsible for the amount. Having said that, you should call the doctor's office and speak with the office manager or doctor and explain the situation. Based on the delay, they might be willing to write off the balance or take a lesser amount.

Scott R. Jay, Esq.

Read more
Answered on 9/19/07, 12:22 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Florida