Legal Question in Family Law in Florida

I received a Summons: Personal Service on an Individual with a Petition to Contest Driver's License Suspension/Revocation attached from my son's father because he hasn't paid child support in about 3 months. He has a car washing business with his father which is a source of income. I am currently unemployed and have another child besides my son that lives with myself and fiance. I just have two questions. 1) How should I respond to the notice, and 2) once my fiance and I get married, does the child support continue ?

Asked on 4/14/14, 9:37 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Justin Rickman Justin Rickman

Second question first. Yes child support continues even if you remarry, unless there is a step parent adoption. First question. It's important you respond to the petition and show up to the hearing. You may be able to use the suspension to help come to an amicable agreement as to child support. Or if he still refuses to come to an agreement, you can maintain the validity of the DL suspension.

Read more
Answered on 4/14/14, 10:06 am
John Smitten Carey and Leisure

Looks like he is trying to lower child support so you should see an attorney. Also if you get married that has no bearing on the amount of support you receive.

Read more
Answered on 4/14/14, 10:53 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida