Legal Question in Insurance Law in Florida

I fell and broke my ankle at an event. A friend of mine was the host and had an event insurance policy. If I filed a claim against his insurance (effectively suing my friend), can I gift him his deductible back?

Asked on 4/25/19, 10:59 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Barry Stein De Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & Zachary

If you resolve your claims and want to provide your friend a gift after resolution, you can can do this. If you pay him while the claim is pending, it would seem to me to be a mistake. What kind of insurance does he hold? Medical payment coverage? Personal Injury insurance? Do you have an attorney? You need a lawyer to make sure your actions are not inappropriate.

Read more
Answered on 4/26/19, 5:10 am
Alan Wagner Wagner McLaughlin, P.A.

You would be suing him. You can gift him whatever you want, but careful that it is not and cannot be construed as paying for testimony or to influence his testimony. If this is your plan, discuss it with your lawyer and do not say anything to your friend until it is all over.

Read more
Answered on 4/26/19, 5:53 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Insurance Law questions and answers in Florida