Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Florida

My then seperated husband took a equity loan out on our house. I signed the mortgage but not the note. they notified me just last year after his death 7 years ago about this loan and now are trying to foreclose. this debt was not mentioned in the divorce. He didn't pay it for 12 years. the mortgage company is trying to loss mitigate. Am I responsible?

Asked on 2/09/21, 4:50 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

David Slater David P. Slater, Esq.

You are not responsible for payments if you did not sign the note. However, you may be subject to foreclosure. You may also have various defenses to any lawsuit. Do not agree to anything and retain counsel. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 2/09/21, 5:18 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Florida