Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Illinois

I am the trustee for my deceased father's house in Berwyn, IL. All mail (including real estate and City of Berwyn garbage/sewer/water bills) has been delivered, per my instructions, to my address in Chicago for years. But by accident I just discovered an envelope (in my father's house mailbox which hasn't been used in years) from the City of Berwyn, postmarked 6-23-2017, containing four (4) Notices of Default Judgment and hefty fines imposed for "blight" citations. To my knowledge, the City of Berwyn never delivered Citation Notices nor Hearing Notices to my father's house/address nor to mine. What legal recourse do I have at this point and how do I proceed?

Asked on 7/25/17, 11:28 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Get an attorney, have them contact Berwyn's attorney.

Read more
Answered on 7/25/17, 1:35 pm
Barry040 Bayer Law Offices of Barry D Bayer

You have a decent chance of vacating everything. You should RUN not walk to a local attorney and have her/him file motions to vacate immediately. The proceed with municipality attorney, mayor, etc. But get it on file immediately.

Read more
Answered on 7/25/17, 1:51 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Illinois