Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Indiana

My in-laws have owned the home my husband and I live in for many years. However, as of recent, my husband and I have discussed buying it from them to help them pay off their debts as they both have recently retired. Only because I choose to, I would like to supply them with a signed agreement that I have zero interest in their family home in the event my husband and I separate/divorce, etc. What type of a form or agreement should I use to forego any personal interest in this property?

Asked on 11/12/19, 5:33 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Jay Rigdon Rockhill Pinnick LLP

There is no form to use that will be binding. Obviously if you don't care that it is binding you can just write them a letter.

To do anything that will actually work, you and your husband TOGETHER need to sit down with an attorney who is familiar with both family law and basic estate planning to confirm what you can do under your own personal circumstances.

Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 11/12/19, 8:31 am
Kenneth Wilk Rubino Ruman Crosmer & Polen

This isn't a do-it-yourself project. You need more than a form. Go to an attorney to have him prepare the correct document for you.

Read more
Answered on 11/12/19, 5:49 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Indiana