Legal Question in Family Law in Kentucky

emergency custody

I have a step-sister who has an 11 month old. I live with my dad and step mother, got to school full time and work part time along with being a single mother of two girls, 3 and a half and 2. My step sister and her son live here too. She has a past history of alcoholism and drug use and quite honestly I think she is doing one or the other or both. She has been in her room and we(my parents and myself) have been taking care of her son because she complained of a migraine yesterday afternoon(late). My concern is with the fact that non one is home with them during the day and who knows if he is fed, changed, etc when no one is home. I am concerned as she will be going to IN at the end of the week with her son and staying for the holidays. Is there anyway at all that my parents could get temporary emergency custody of their grandson so he he will be taken care of in the proper way. This is not the first time she has had an episode such as this. She and her son were in her bedroom for 9 hours with no food, drink for him. What steps do we need to take and if I should make a neglect report who do I need to contact? My stepmom is wanting to get custody of him but is afraid of the ''I said- She said'' Will it be hers against my stepsister's?

Asked on 12/11/07, 8:46 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Gregory Napier Troutman & Napier, PLLC

Re: emergency custody

If you suspect neglect or the risk that neglect will occur, Kentucky law requires you to contact the Cabinet for Health and Family Services. If you cannot find the phone number in your local phone book, call the police department and ask them to connect you to social services.

Read more
Answered on 12/12/07, 12:18 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Kentucky