Legal Question in Family Law in Kentucky

temper and children

Hello, I'm currently married to a man that has recently started getting a very bad temper. He has talked of ways he could hurt me if I leave and spit in my face. afterwards he talks about how horrible he is yet does it again. we have a 6 month old Daughter and I'm scared if I tell him I want out of the marriage that he will hurt me or run with the baby. How can I keep that from happening? I love my baby more than anything and I couldn't stand to see her gone but I also can't let her grow up in that situation thinking its ok for a man to treat her that way. Thank you for your advice,--name removed--K

Asked on 12/31/07, 2:58 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Gregory Napier Troutman & Napier, PLLC

Re: temper and children

You need to go to your local courthouse and file an Emergency Protection Order petition on behalf of yourself and your daughter. This can give you immediate help. If you do not want to do this, you need to call or go to a domestic violence shelter. The threats of harm should be sufficient to qualify you for services. The domestic violence folks can help you tremendously. Look in your local phone book or search online for domestic violence shelters in Kentucky.

Most likely, things will continue to get worse. The cycle you are describing is typical of domestic violence and those nice, remorseful peiods can trick you into staying. However they will get shorter and shorter and the violence will likely get worse. Do it for yourself; do it for your child.

Read more
Answered on 12/31/07, 4:12 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Kentucky